What Dogs Want for Christmas

Do you give your dogs presents for Christmas?  I do.  They have three stockings lined up waiting for Doggy Santa to come and fill them with toys and treats.  Poor Tum Tum doesn't get one because she eschews such mundane things as treats and toys - tormenting live dogs is so much more fun - so I gave up even trying some years ago.



I don't think they remember, as they walk past their stockings every day, that these symbolize good things to come for them.  They're curious about all the hubbub of the holidays, and were definitely wanting to smell the gifts I put under the tree from my wrap session last night (which I'll be glad to be done with - it's really cutting into my hockey concentration), but they don't have the child's anticipation of Christmas.  So I could definitely get away without spending that time, energy and money gathering gifts for them.  But will I ever?  No.  Because they're a part of the family, and I want them to have a special day just as much as I want my other loved ones to.  But, I was upstairs just a bit ago with all three and spent an idol moment just watching them.  All three happily grinning, tossling gently with one another, jumping on the bed to give me big, sloppy collie kisses and it occurred to me that all dogs really want is us.

I think if you asked my dogs - and they suddenly had the capacity to answer - they would tell you that most Sunday mornings are their favorites.  Saturdays might be okay, but that's errand day, so it's up and out early to the grocery store most Saturdays.  Sunday is a more leisurely day.  I might need to leave - as I will today - for the game if the Steelers are at home, but there's a bit of a lull on a Sunday morning when we're just here.  I'll sit with my coffee and blog, one or more dog at my feet.  Their dad will hold down the couch, usually watching the Saturday Night Live from the night before (we're way past the point where staying up and watching it live holds any appeal), so the ones who aren't sitting with me will cuddle on the couch with him.  They are just the picture of contentment right now.  I think if they could write Santa to ask him for something, they would ask for a lifetime of Sunday mornings.

I think dogs get the holidays right actually.  They aren't concerned with what they get in terms of material possessions.  They aren't overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle of the season.  They don't give a fig if something's not wrapped just so or judging whether someone got a better gift than they did.  They just want to spend time with their family.  We should be more like dogs in many respects I think.  Let's just slow it down and take time to savor the gifts we have every day - one another.

And have a happy Collie Days.



Comments

  1. I know my collies are the same, special time with my focus just on them is what makes them happiest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could use the easy, trouble free life of a dog right now

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts