A Little Help from Man's Best Friend

I've been contemplating friendships lately.  Mainly because I realize that I neglect mine, and I had a hard reality check about it this holiday season when we received fewer Christmas cards I think than I ever have.  That sounds like self-pity, and I will confess I had some of that for a bit.  But the reality is,  friendships, like all relationships, require care and nurturing to flourish.  That's hard for us right now: between work, where most of our personal interaction comes over the phone or behind a computer screen, our having to be with my mother-in-law at all times, and then all the normal chores and errands, finding the time or energy for anything else is a stretch, and you simply cannot take your friends for granted and expect them to not move on. That's not to say we can use it as an excuse, and it's certainly not purposeful, but it is the reality of our situation.  Now add distance to the mix for many of our oldest friends, and it's very easy for once close friendships to drift, despite social media and technology.

What I've been wondering as part of all this introspection is: can we as humans exist without friendships?  We are a social society because we needed to be to survive.  Of course, that didn't include us having to like one another, but merely to be able to work together, but let's face it: it's easier when we do like the people we work and interact with.  And friendships take our lives to another level.  A more fulfilling level.  The question therefore becomes whether or not you can consider your pets your friends, and can they take on the same role that human friends do.

Granted you can't take your pets to your favorite nightclub to help you dance the night away (or if you can, I'd love to know about it), but I am a true believer in the concept that our relationships with our pets are as deep as those we have with human friends.  I will grant that they are different.  I can complain to my dogs all night long if I'm mad at someone or I've had a bad day.  And maybe they'll even seem like they're listening some of the time, but of course they can't echo back your feelings to make you feel validated.  When you're mad at your significant other, sometimes you just want to hear, "Oh yeah, that's so awful!  How could he/she...?"  And sometimes friends are the only ones who can tell you the things you don't want, but need, to hear.

Dogs (and other pets) can't of course do that for us.  Well maybe parrots can to a degree...  Yet, it's not without reason that dogs are called "Man's Best Friend". 

The definition of friendship is a bond of mutual affection.  And I think responsible pet owners will tell you their relationship with their pet meets that standard.  I think most of would tell you that doesn't even begin to explain the bond we have with our pets.


I have always had dogs by my side.  I hope I always do.  I love my human friends, but I confess, some of my deepest friendships have been with my dogs.  They have forgiven me in my ugly times, rejoiced with me in my happy ones, and stayed by my side in the most tragic of times.  And now, the Collie Army is staying loyal and true despite our lack of adventures currently.  They love me on days when I don't.  So yes, dogs have earned their title as our best friends, and I am happy in my friends.

I think my resolve as we head into 2019 is to be a better friend to all - two and four-legged alike.




Comments

Popular Posts