Puppy Love

I thought it only appropriate this close to Valentine's Day to tell you a story of a love triangle.

Thinking back on the mysterious disappearance of one rescue group I was trying to adopt a dog through early last year, I think I sounded the deathknell on my own application by mentioning how deeply bonded Geddy and Rooney were.  While they never gave me a reason, they never even responded with a yes or a no, they just stopped communicating altogether, it was the only thing I could think of.  I had mentioned it because I was a little worried actually about another dog coming into the home and wanted to tell them I thought a dog who had been used to being a single pet was not a good fit.  I think what they heard was, "don't give this woman another dog."  Who knows?  Not me.

But I knew from past experience when I was growing my previous pack to eight that it's easiest to introduce a puppy.  The others don't see a little fluff ball as a rival.  And I figured since Geddy and Rooney acted like a married couple, they'd just "adopt" and raise a puppy.  So, when I got the lead that a puppy was available from a Louisiana breeder, it seemed like a perfect answer to my prayers.  And I think it was...



...only I didn't anticipate how the dynamics of their relationships would change as Sirius grew into a young adult dog.

They all got along pretty much from the start.  I suffered a few "what the [bleep] is this?" looks from Geddy the first day when this energetic ball of fur was trying to join in on their playtime.  But by the end of that afternoon, Sirius was just one of the family.  I don't know if I was right about a puppy being a natural fit, or if it's just Geddy and Rooney are sweet, loving dogs and would have welcomed any dog into the fold.  Maybe it was both.  But they're happy together.  The Three Musketeers.

Along comes winter and snow, and Rooney and Sirius find they have a common element that Geddy is not as wild about.  Geddy likes snow until his paws feel cold, and then he's over it.  Rooney and Sirius adore it and resent it when I have to pull them in.  The colder the better.  So Geddy will run laps with them for a few minutes and then he's done, ready to just watch.  And so the relationship between Sirius and Rooney deepened as a result, and we're noticing that our quiet female has a little more pep in her step these days  She's more likely to not only join in their games, but instigate them.  Indoors or out. She's definitely more assertive.  Which is great to see until you're trying to watch hockey, and she's trying to wrestle loudly with Sirius in the middle of the living room, and you're caught between watching a fast moving game or worry over fast moving bodies slamming into delicate furniture or waking the toddler who just drifted off.  Ah, kids!  Whatcha gonna do?

Of course, should I have been surprised?  It's always nice to have the attention of a handsome young man.  Geddy seems to take this in stride.  They all still love one another after all, and he has my heart, of course, no matter what.  So when he's done with the snow, we'll watch side by side while the other two continue to romp.  And I'll think to myself how both he and I will need to work on shedding some  extra winter pounds.  Just two middle aged fogeys watching the young kids play, realizing we can't keep up, I guess.




But, as we approach this day where we celebrate love, I am once again struck by how well dogs learn to love one another, and how much they love us, as I've said before, even when we don't deserve it, and how we could all take lessons from them.  I'm happy I'll be spending that day with my trio of love birds.

Happy Valentine's Day, fellow dog lovers - enjoy the love of your furbabies!


Comments

Popular Posts