New Year's Resolutions Catching On

There's not much to write about, I'm afraid.  This week belonged to Mother Nature and the humans.  The poor dogs had to be patient bystanders, which Sirius didn't take too kindly, as evidenced by his chewing on anything and everything that came in his path.  I recognize it as boredom, but even with jackets and paw protectors, I have to limit their time outside during this cold snap, so we'll do the best we can to amuse him for now.

But it's a new year!  Which for us two-legged folks comes with resolutions.  I've never spent too much time pondering resolutions - well, not in the last 20 or so years anyway - because I learned early on that I'd just break them at some point when I made decisions based on turning a page on a calendar.  I've done better when I've made life changes based on other criteria.  But,  in this case, that changing of the guard from my 2017 Sidney Crosby wall calendar to my 2018 The Last Jedi one seemed to coincide with a real need to do some self-assessing.  And, it also fortuitously lines up with being able to put all the extra expense of the holidays behind us.  So, here goes...I'm going to tell you what my New Year's Resolution is as a means to holding myself to it.

Yesterday I sat in my cold plastic chair at Heinz Field sipping "hot" apple cider that was getting less hot by the minute and watched the pregame show with only about 20,000 of my fellow fans - no one was in a big hurry to get in their seats for a meaningless game in the snow when it's in the mid-teens.  But I was happy I went ahead on up for it because it was a woman and her four dogs.  Rescue dogs all, as it turns out.  They did the typical frisbee catching, but they could also jump rope (including actually swinging the rope themselves), dance on two legs,  balance on their owner's back and other rather amazing feats.  What I noticed the most though was that they seemed to be having so much fun.  So I was having a lot of fun in return.  I was clapping and cheering loudly, calling some bemused attention to myself from the scattering of fans around me who all know that the pregame show between warmups and actual game time is not meant to actually be watched, but as a gauge as to how much time you have to get food and beer. 

But, I did actually watch and loved it far better than the typical high school band or even Styx (who actually is a big deal for Steelers fans...I'll explain why if you're truly curious).  The dogs that performed all clearly love their owner/trainer - I could see it even up in Section 510.  (The video is that same woman, but from an Eagles game a few years ago - if she can impress Eagles fans, she's got some magic powers, let me tell you.)

It occurred to me as I sat there waiting for the hand warmers to kick in, that Sirius is a great frisbee dog candidate.  Rooney's got therapy dog written all over her (and I would have pursued that already because I've seen how happy dogs can make people when I would take Cheyenne to see my mother in the nursing home, but for her car sickness).  Geddy's pretty happy with his lot in life just as it is.  But Sirius needs more.  I see photos of his siblings on Facebook sometimes, and they're actually working farm dogs.  Busy days with purpose.  He's bred for that too and needs it.  And he loves catching things.  He was playing delightedly with his Kong toy just this morning, begging me to keep throwing it to him.  I don't have any false hope that he'll someday be the entertainment filler at a major sporting event, but he'll have fun I can all but guarantee it.



Therefore, once more the Steelers have provided inspiration:  my New Year's resolution is to take Sirius through agility training!

Of course baby steps.  He needs the basic obedience stuff first.  But that's fine.  I think we'll enjoy the journey, both of us, as long as I actually follow through.  But that's why I'm glad I can commit myself here - it'll hold me accountable.  

But for today, he and I have bathrooms to clean and floors to scrub, and a few balls to toss and grab inside since Baby, it's cold outside!

So there's my New Year's Resolution.  What's yours?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts