The Supporting Cast

No story is complete without a cast of quirky support players.  Penny and Leonard wouldn't have been funny without Howard and Raj.  Cersei, Jon, Daenerys, Sansa, et. al. are more interesting with dragons, zombies and direwolves.  Anyway, you get the point.  So here are ours:

Tum Tum



Every army needs a nemesis.  Unfortunately for my Collie Army, the battle was won before it was even really joined.  And the victor is not the three large dogs, it's the one small calico cat.   I've never been a "cat person", but I've always managed to have at least one.  And in more than one case, they chose me, not the other way around.  But no matter how they found us, they had to learn to coexist with a pack of canines who would out number and vastly outweigh them.  They've managed it through indifference mostly, but some joined in and just became almost canine in their behavior.  Not Tum Tum.

We inherited Tum Tum, named for a Houston, TX based rapper.  She was the beloved companion of my oldest daughter and used to being the center of her universe before she came to us.  She wasn't sure about us at first, let alone all the zoo that surrounded us.  Gradually she came to terms with us, and I think I can say without any hesitation that she genuinely loves me - although she'll never love me the way she did her original owner.  That's okay, I accept that wholeheartedly.  As for the dogs, well, she learned to rule.  And rule this house she does.  When she wants to simply disappear and get away from the chaos, there are plenty of places to go, but sometimes it's just more fun if you're a calico to make sure your small stature is not only seen, but feared.  Her favorite is to sit on the middle of the steps - to either the upstairs or the basements, as occasion dictates - while one or more dog is trying to go up or down.  That's all.  She'll just sit idly.  But they're terrified to make a move past her.  They'll freeze in place, whining pitifully until I cajol them to either move around her or I move her.

The puppy of course, as they all have done when first being introduced to her, wanted to play.  She's never had to make actual physical contact with him to let him know she does not stoop so low as to play.  He's beginning to get the picture.  Her latest is to curl up in the puppy's crate when it's bedtime and almost dare with a look to get her out of there.  Observing this a couple of nights ago, I realized she's just about got him trained:  he wouldn't go in until I physically pulled her out of there.

The City


I live in what many of us lovingly call the City of Champions.  Pittsburgh, PA.  I live here by choice, having spent most of my life in Texas, where I moved from Montana.  My husband and I both telecommute, so we could live anywhere we wanted so long as it has Internet service, but this is where I choose to be. And I am enthralled with my choice.  This is an amazing city, full of quirks and oddities that took some getting used to, but make me love it all the more.  But I confess that I moved here for other considerations than whether it was a dog friendly city or not.  I moved here, somewhat over-simply put, for the sports.  A nearly lifelong Steelers fan, I fell in love with the Penguins when I began watching them sort of out of a loyalty to the Black and Gold.  Gradually I caught on that it was not only an awesome sport, but in some ways I like it better than football.  So, by the time I moved here in January 2011, I was caught in the tractor beam of those two teams.  The Pirates caught me in their web after I came here.  Now it's all Black and Gold all the time.

But I confess I had no idea if I had moved to a dog friendly city or not.  Of course, I knew what my township's fencing restrictions were, and had looked to see if there were limits on numbers of pets, and things like that.  But, that's not what makes a city "dog friendly" - it's the attitude of the people who live in it and whether they generally accept dogs as members of the family and have activities that include them.  Austin, where we had come from, was a relatively dog friendly place.  I wasn't sure about a city where almost no one had a backyard fence.  I figured it would work for me and my dogs, but I wasn't sure it would embrace them.

Turns out, any fears I had were unwarranted.  Pittsburgh is plenty dog friendly.  There are a lot of dog-centric activities - walks and festivals, and dog friendly outdoor venues.  There are dog parks dotted all over the city.  What it doesn't have, I've found, is a whole lot of collies.  When I go out with mine, we're constantly being asked what they are.  And it's not uncommon for someone to remark they've never seen one before.  That hurts my heart.  If I do anything in my life, I'd like to change that.  Everyone who loves dogs should know and love this breed - they are beyond compare.  I know, I know, every breed aficionado says the same thing.  Well, at least let me make my case over time here.  You can decide.  (HINT:  you'll agree with me.)

The Family


There are other humans in my dogs' lives as well.  I am lucky enough to have an indulgent spouse, who when I first met him could take or leave dogs really, but has grown to love them as I do over time and has tolerated my "there's always room for one more" attitude.

And then there is my youngest daughter and her son.  The baby is really who I wanted to have our newest addition to the Army for.  I raised my daughters surrounded by dogs - knowing the dogs would love and protect them.  And they did.  I, as you'll see as we go, grew up with a cabal of neighborhood dogs.  And when life was harsh, they were always there for me - accepting me for what I was.  I know one absolute in life:  no one loves you like your dog.  And I believe - strongly - that we grow to be more tolerant of others by learning first to care for our pets.  So, the puppy and the baby can grow together and have many adventures.  I hope to be here, writing them all down.


Comments

Popular Posts