Drafted into the Army

My daughter was the one who coined the phrase "Collie Army" at some point back when we reached a total of three collies. Back then, it was my original tricolor rough collie Ripley (more on her as we go), and two puppies joining her to make my dog hating neighbors crazy (more on them as we go as well).  I'm not sure how or why she thought of it, but it took hold quickly and then I, not long after, coined the tagline "Keeping Your Neighborhood Safe from Peace and Quiet".

Well, it's not quite the same army as it was originally, but its ranks are full again with the recent edition of our newest family member.  And, with the unfortunate cancelation of Downward Dog, a hilarious (my opinion) comedy about a woman and her dog set in my home of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, I thought the two events cried out for another perspective of the dog life in the City of Champions.  I hope you agree and will find my stories amusing, maybe sometimes touching, but always entertaining.

For now, let me begin with an introduction of the major players in this tail - uh, I mean tale:

Geddy


Named for the lead singer of my favorite band, Rush, Geddy is the oldest of the group.  He is a collie mix.  He joined us two years ago this past April, a mere pup.  He quickly grew into a bra eating, furniture destroying monster.  He was the hardest puppy I had ever raised, but, as I write this, he is currently curled up tight against me, his head on my leg.  I wouldn't trade him for the world.  As Tolstoy wrote, "The strongest of all warriors are these two - Time and Patience."  Time has mellowed him in some respects, at least to the point where I can leave him in a room with my laundry basket and not come back to my underwear shredded to pieces two minutes later.

Rooney


Rooney came along a few months later from the same grassroots rescue group Geddy came from.  But while he's collie mixed with who knows what, she's a purebred sable and white rough collie with a hint of merle on her head.  She is gentle, sweet, and can border on shy.  She can become skittish easily and becomes car sick so easily that even trips to the dog park have become rare because she gets ill on the 20 minute ride there.  She did her fair share of puppy mayhem, but in comparison to what was the whirling dervish of her older "brother",  she is so angelic, she's nearly ready for sainthood.  She's day to Geddy's stormy night, but they are tightly bonded.   Like sweet and tart, they seem to work well together.

Sirius


The new addition.  He's 13 weeks old and has only been with us a few of those weeks.  We're still all learning about one another.  In some ways, he's a dream.  In others, he's a boy with a boy's sense of adventure and fun (and mischief).  But he's as much a part of the family as any of us.  We will love learning about him and sharing that with you.







Me


You'll get to know me better as we go along - I'd spend more time telling you about myself right now, but I can't - I have to go rescue my mother's soapstone box out of Sirius' mouth!

Comments

  1. Welcome! Hope you have fun with your blog! I don't know much about Wordpress, our collie blog is www.collie222.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized you are on blogspot too, I'm not sure why your comments look so different than mine. Anyway, welcome to Blogville! There are so many dog blogs, I'll help introduce you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the template I picked - not sure I like it, but I read that once you commit, don't change it for a while.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts